Laser Measurement Technology
The aim of this lecture course is the introduction to the basic principles and methods of state-of-the-art optical measurement technology based on laser sources. An overview of the broad spectrum of laser sources, measurement techniques, and typical practical applications for various optical measurement, monitoring, and sensing situations in research and development will be provided.
The exercise course aims at consolidating the understanding of the basic principles and provides theoretical exercises according to selected example applications and practical laboratory training.
| || |
Fundamentals of measurement technology, Basics of laser physics and laser technology
- Donges, Noll, Laser Measurement Technology: Fundamentals and Applications (Springer), 2015
- Hugenschmidt, Lasermesstechnik: Diagnostik der Kurzzeitphysik (Springer), 2007
- Wulfhard Lange, Einführung in die Laserphysik (Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft), 1994
Laser Spectroscopy in Life Science
The aim of this lecture course is the introduction to the fundamentals and methods in laser spectroscopy for application in the life sciences. Apart from the basic principles of laser spectroscopic techniques and methods applied in various up-to-date areas of fundamental research also practical applications in the life sciences such as biology, chemistry, and medicine, will be taught. The students will also gain insight into modern measurement devices and methods which are broadly employed. The exercise course aims at consolidating the understanding of the basic principles given as well as at their application for practical examples.
Basic physics, Optical elements and measurement techniques, Lasers for spectroscopic applications, Laser interferometry, Laser spectrometry and spectroscopy, Applications of (ultra)short pulse lasers.
- Wolfgang Demtröder: Laser Spectroscopy 1: Basic Principles (Springer), 2008
- Wolfgang Demtröder: Laser Spectroscopy 2: Experimental Techniques (Springer), 2008
- Jürgen Eichler, Hans Joachim Eichler: Laser - Bauformen Strahlführung Anwendungen (Springer), 2006
- Thomas Engel: Quantum Chemistry and Spectroscopy (Pearson), 2013
The lecture gives an overview on theory, methods and devices in optical metrology. At the beginning, fundamentals of optics and photonics such as ray and wave optics are revised, which are essential for the understanding of concepts in optical metrology. Focusing on metrology in research and industrial applications, the lecture covers optical methods for measurement of topography, distance, and deformation as well as fiber optical sensors, which include concepts such as interferometry, holography and confocal microscopy. In addition, semi-optical methods such as atomic force microscopy and near field microscopy are addressed and compared to non-optical methods, e.g., scanning electron microscopy. To gain an in-depth understanding of the concepts involved in optical metrology, all devices and optical setups are explained in detail including light sources, cameras, and optical elements.
Fundamentals of Measurement
- Born, Wolf. Principles of Optics: Electromagnetic Theory of Propagation, Interference and Diffraction of Light (Cambridge University Press), 1999
- Demtröder: Experimentalphysik (Springer), 2013
- Saleh, Teich: Grundlagen der Photonik (Wiley), 2013
- Lauterborn, Kurz: Coherent Optics (Springer), 2003
- Goodman: Introduction to Fourier Optics (Roberts), 2016
- Hugenschmidt: Lasermesstechnik (Springer), 2007